Congratulations to pro cyclist Neil Bezdek (crossing finish line, above right) for his magnificent ride to victory in the second annual Red Hook Criterium in Milano, Italy last Saturday. velojoy.com is so proud to have sponsored Neil along with fellow New York City-based partners Trimble Racing and Signature Cycles. The Italian edition of this Brooklyn-based event is a late-night, unsanctioned race of 18 laps around a short, technical course on the streets of an industrial section of Milan — track bikes mandatory, fixed-gear, no brakes. It attracts participants from across cycling communities, including professionals, bicycle messengers and urban cyclists.
1. Neil Bezdek (USA)
Race time: 43.01
Average speed: 26.84 mph
Fastest lap: Bezdek, 2.14, 30 mph average
1st Lap Prime: Bezdek
9th Lap Prime: Bezdek
2. Jon Ander Ortuono (Italy)
3. Alexander Barouh (USA)
Post-race from Neil: “Deeper field this year meant it was harder for a break to go, so the race ended as a sprint among about 30 people. I was second wheel through the last 2 corners, jumped early and held it all the way to the line.”
View the week’s best race recaps of the Red Hook Criterium Milano at these links:
- Read Neil’s own perspectives on his ‘no mercy’ ride to victory on his Rambling Man blog for Bicycling.com.
- Lodovico Pagnatti-Morano for Gage + Desoto provides a “you are there” race wrap-up with commentary.
- Full results, continuing coverage and news about the 2012 Red Hook Criterium race series: redhookcrit.com.
- Peleton Magazine contrasts RHC Milan with a day-time race in Italy on the same date.
- View Francesco Ravello’s dramatic race course photo set (below).
- A rough-cut highlights video (bottom), produced by Alberto Accettull and released by Trimble Racing, captures the flavor and excitement of the Red Hook Criterium cycling and road-running races.
top photo: federico stanzani