To seal in body heat and keep the cold at bay, I like the soft, cozy bands of fabric or knitware known variously as gaiters, snoods, cowl scarves — and neck warmers.
As shown in the gallery here, an array of fabric weights and design details delivers comfy warmth while adding a kick of color and texture to your city cycling look.
Click on images below to enlarge:
1. Burberry Check Print Snood, $325 – 100 percent wool in Burberry’s signature black and white print.
2. Turtle Fur Neck Gaiter, $17: Breathable, double-edged stretch polyester microfleece with a brushed surface that captures and retains body heat. Big warmth for a small investment.
3. Black Cherry Cowl Scarf, $25 – Double-edged, soft corduroy reverses from a playful cherry pattern to solid red. Available in Piprobin’s Etsy shop.
4. Fiery Primo Merino Button Cowl, $50 – Hand-knit of variegated red yarn in 100 percent merino wool with olive-colored buttons and buttonholes reinforced with a fluted, crocheted edge. Available in Dilettant’s Etsy shop.
5. Adidas by Stella McCartney Snood, $70 – Cable-knit of acrylic and wool with a polyester and cotton lining. The drawstring lends flexibility in venting and styling.
6. Polar Buff Reversible, $30 – Breathable, wicking and seam-free, this generous band of microfiber backed with microfleece can protect your face and nose in windy or dusty conditions, or you can pull it over your head as a hood beneath your helmet.